Sunday, March 11, 2012

Balancing Act


This week past week was a mess. I forgot all about the balance I strive for and let stress take over. Between school, work, research, an upcoming interview, and a life, it felt like the walls were closing in on me. It doesn't seem like I had that much on my plate, and reflecting back, I really didn't. I just let work consume my life and I didn't take a step back to look at the big picture. I felt trapped in my own life and I went into what I like to call "machine mode." It's where I go into overdrive, making sure nothing slips through the cracks, overcompensating for everything. And for what? It's like in my mind I can't be more than one person at a time. If I'm in work mode, I can't have fun. If I'm out having fun, my "work persona" is left at home. It's nonsense. I set unattainable goals and then beat myself up when I can't achieve them. Yesterday, I broke from the pressure and had to shut my mind off just to escape. Thankfully today, I am back to my "normal" self. I am seriously considering tattooing the word "balance" somewhere on my body so I can keep myself in check.

1 comment:

  1. I love that idea of tattooing 'balance' on your body!! -- somewhere where you can read it. Like a personal reminder to breath <3

    My last week was like this too!! I acted like a crazy person. And I was thinking--- it's UNhuman to constantly chat via fbook and blog comments... we should make a standing weekly date with 1 cup of tea or coffee and stay in touch <3 ... as if our lives aren't already busy...

    let me know! xoxo

    ReplyDelete