Thursday, June 28, 2012

Let's talk about tats

via hemingwaycool
Tattoos are no longer reserved for sailors, bikers, and people who want to give a big "eff" you to authority, (were they ever? Who's to say) but that doesn't change the fact that people have strong opinions on the matter. Chances are, you either love 'em, or hate 'em. I have to admit that I am probably one of the only people who is rather ambivalent on the matter. I like some tattoos, I dislike others. I understand that people get tattoos for a wide variety of reasons and who am I to judge? I myself have tattoos and don't think of them as a big deal. I have them now but if ever in my life I wish to cover them up, change them, hell even get rid of them, I can. I don't have a particularly profound reason for why I got my tattoos or even why I like my tattoos in general. The best answer I can come up with as to why I got them and like them is this: I know that I am going to change over the years and I know that that's okay.

For example, I know I will never be the same girl who wandered into the tattoo parlor on that Saturday morning, still a little hung over from a night in college and decided to get a quote from one of her favorite books, The Little Prince, tattooed on her right side. The discreet placement of the words felt like she was keeping her own little secret from the rest of the world. Even now, when my physical appearance and demeanor has to adapt to the situation I find myself in, I smile at that little piece of me that stays the same.

I also know that I will not always be the same woman who tattooed her aunt's signature on the inside of her left ankle in a moment of solidarity with the rest of the women in her family - a strong acknowledgement to someone we loved who is no longer with us but continues to inspire us.

I know that I will not always be the same restless soul that wants the word "balance" written in morse code tattooed on my body as a comfort when I am teetering on the edge of one extreme or another.

My tattoos don't define me or limit me. I don't take them too seriously, as I don't take any part of myself too seriously. I don't wish to make a statement with them, for they are far too personal and I am far too introverted to allow that. For me, they're not sexualized, or to be used as an "accessory," as again, I did them solely for myself. I still truly believe that being vulnerable is one of the best and worst things in life and not having a tattoo that says basically that would not change my opinion on the matter. I would remember by aunt regardless of her initials on my body and I would still strive for balance in my life regardless of the word there on my skin. I am who I am despite the presence or absence of ink on my skin.

via nowandthan

via aCupofJo
via wit&delight
via wit&delight

Last but not least, no one can pull off this look quite like her: via crushcudesac

No comments:

Post a Comment